16 January, 2006

Taxis

Yesterday, I slept and read for most of the morning. Joseph and Liz had been sent to Wonju for training, but apparently Julian hasn’t registered me, so I couldn’t go. Joseph said I was lucky and kept scheming to get himself out of it and me into it, but it was to no avail. In the afternoon, I bundled up and tromped all over Kyo-dong which is our section of the city. It’s pretty much a normal little area of a city with shops and restaurants and bakeries and bars and internet gaming cafes.

This afternoon, Liz and I took a taxi downtown. Taxis are very cheap, I discovered, and the ride only cost us about $2.50. The same trip would have cost us at least $15 in Japan. I don’t take taxis in the states, so I don’t know how it would compare there. But since I don’t have a car, it’s exciting to know that I have an affordable way of getting around. We wandered around down in the markets, found the McDonald’s at Liz’s insistence, then took another taxi over to the E-Mart which is like Wal-Mart or Super Target. I got some hangers and a towel. Exciting.

No comments: