03 April, 2008

Gangwha Island, January 27th, Korea

I almost forgot about this day we went for a little drive out to Gangwha Island on the northwest coast of Korea. We started with some good BBQ then drove until we couldn't drive anymore. Being so close to North Korea, razor wire seemed to grow like vines along fences and roadways, and the road along the northern coast was heavily guarded and accessible by permit only, much to our disappointment. At one point we pulled to the side of the road to take some pictures. A motorcycle officer approached and slowed as if to speak to me through the passenger window. I pretended I didn't see him, so he caught Morten's attention. 'Are you American?' he asked. 'No,' Morten replied as he always does, and like the proudest Dane in the world, 'I'm from DENMARK!' Turns out the cop had actually worked in Denmark as an engineer for Siemens. He invited us down to his little police station for coffee and told us to come again for a tour. I shall end here as the power just went out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You end it just as you are having coffee presumably in North Korea, with a thankfully nice border guard??? That's not right.

Potato Woman said...

we were NOT in North Korea, and he was a POLICE OFFICER, not a border guard, but he was nice. weren't you even concerned about poor little me and the power outage?

Laufenem said...

NO, I was not concerned about the frequently-occuring power outage. I was concerned about what would have happened had you said you were American, and concerned that you had coffee with a police officer on the border of North Korea. So, it makes it better that he was a police officer and not a border guard?

Potato Woman said...

He was very nice! And we were just being tourists, not trying to make a crossing. And I don't know if I had said I was American. I think they're just concerned if you're military or not.